Jambi gets Rp 4 billion for land and forest fire prevention
The Jakarta Post
The central government, through the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), has given Rp 4 billion (US$ 295,836.11) in financial aid to the Jambi provincial administration for the handling of land and forest fires.
Jambi Governor Zumi Zola said he hoped all relevant stakeholders use the fund optimally when the time came.
Read also: Fire burns 12 hectares of Mount Rinjani area
“There is zero tolerance for land and forest fires. We suffered Rp 12 trillion in losses in only three months in 2015. We won’t let that happen again,” Zumi said on Thursday.
The funds have further been disbursed to the Garuda Putih 042 Military Resort Command (Korem), which got Rp 298.1 million; the Jambi Police (Rp 232.8 million); the East Tanjungjabung regency administration (Rp 481.2 million); the West Tanjungjabung regency administration (Rp 295.2 million); the Muarojambi regency administration (Rp 172.9 million); the Batanghari regency administration (Rp 443.3 million); the Tebo regency administration (Rp 587.2 million); the Sarolangun regency administration (Rp 501.3 million); and the Merangin regency administration (Rp 297.5 million).
An officer from the Mount Rinjani National Park Agency tries to put out the fire burning in some areas in the park on Oct. 9. The agency said that up to 12 hectares of land in the national park had been burned. (Courtesy of TNGR Agency/file)
“Sometimes, fires occurred in difficult-to-reach areas, where the personnel chose to go on foot with their equipment. This shows their commitment and I appreciate that,” Zumi said.
Meanwhile, Jambi Disaster Mitigation Agency head Bachyuni Deliansyah said a memorandum of understanding was signed by relevant stakeholders to set out their respective duties and job descriptions. (dra/bbs)
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Google launches special features for Asian Games 2018
- Cricket hero Imran Khan sworn in as Pakistan PM
- National Folk Museum of Korea to bring ‘mobile museums’ to Asian Games
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi opens Asian Games in dazzling ceremony
- Asian Games: Japanese athletes, officials comfortable staying in athletes villag...
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program