Brimob officer dies in exchange of fire with armed group in Papua
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
First. Brig. Berry Pramana Putra, a member of the National Police’s Mobile Brigade stationed in Timika, Papua was killed in an exchange of fire with unidentified gunmen on Utikini bridge, Tembagapura, Mimika regency on Sunday.
Berry died during a pursuit of armed assailants who were allegedly behind a shooting incident in the mining area of US-based PT Freeport Indonesia at Mile 60 to 67, Papua Police chief Insp. Gen. Boy Rafli Amar said.
“The victim died on the scene while Mobile Brigade members were in an exchange of fire with an armed criminal group on Utikini bridge, a day after the group shot at two patrol vehicles owned by PT Freeport,” he said in Jayapura on Monday.
He alleged the group was behind security disturbances in Freeport's mining area. He also suspected it was the same group who seized two Steyr assault rifles and ammunition from members of the Mobile Brigade two years ago, as the same weapons were believed to have been used in the shooting that killed Berry. The allegations arose from the bullet casings found at the scene.
“We have identified the group, although we will not yet publish the name of the group,” Boy added.
No additional security personnel would be added despite the incidents, he said, adding that police would handle the issue in accordance with law enforcement procedures to end the security disturbances in Papua.
The Papua Police delivered the body of First. Brig Berry to his hometown in Bengkulu in a release ceremony led by Boy. As Berry died on duty, the police also granted him a posthumous promotion to one level above his rank to Brig. (rin)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...
- Garuda Indonesia records best OTP in Asia Pacific