Tangerang fireworks factory explodes, killing 23
The Jakarta Post
At least 23 people have died and another 31 been left injured after an explosion at a fireworks factory in Kosambi, Tangerang, Banten on Thursday morning.
"At the site, we found 23 severely burned bodies that are very hard to identify," said Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono.
The majority of the victims were workers at the warehouse. Argo added that all of the 31 injured persons were currently receiving treatment at nearby hospitals.
The incident occurred at around 9 a.m.
Local residents reported hearing a very loud explosion before seeing a cloud of smoke just above the warehouse. Students and teachers of a state junior high school near the site of the explosion, SMPN 1 Kosambi, panicked and ran away in fear of being burned.
“Some students and teachers even jumped over the school's fence to avoid the fire that was growing bigger,” a local resident, Indra, said as quoted by tribunnews.com. (vny/wit)
- Seoul Fashion Week ready for kickoff
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Washington diocese names 31 former clergy accused of abuse
- Man arrested for buying baby via Instagram
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- NTT to move immigrants to island near Australia
- Microsoft co-founder, investor, philanthropist Allen dead at 65
- The warning signs get stronger
- Indonesia warns against Australia’s possible embassy move to Jerusalem
- Police on high alert ahead of Indian temple opening to women