Two suspected terrorists shot dead after blaze at police HQ
The Jakarta Post
Two suspected militants were shot dead on Sunday morning after allegedly setting fire to the main building of the Dharmasraya Police headquarters in West Sumatra.
National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Rikwanto said on Sunday that firefighters deployed to deal with the fire, which started at around 2.45 a.m., spotted two suspicious men carrying bows.
Police officers attempted to detain the two men for investigation but they resisted with one of the men shooting an arrow at them, Rikwanto said.
The officers fired a warning shot that was ignored as the men continued to fight the police. The officers then shot the two men, killing them instantly.
The police found a bow, several arrows, two bayonets and a letter calling for jihad from a man identifying himself as Abu Azzam Al Arkhobiliy at the scene.
The police are still investigating the incident.
Antara reported that following the fire, nine prisoners were evacuated to a safe location. The police are also increasing security measures in the area. (Saf/ahw)
- 8.2 magnitude quake hits off coast of Alaska: USGS
- Jakarta Planetarium to host public lunar eclipse observation on Jan 31
- Depok men arrested for allegedly uploading sex video
- Auction lowered price of industrial sugar, Trade Ministry says
- BREAKING: Strong 6.4 earthquake hits Banten, no tsunami warning
- Earthquake leads to traffic jams in Jakarta
- Defector soldier 'committed murder in North Korea': report
- Jokowi criticizes regions for lengthy business permit issuance
- Hundreds of houses damaged by Lebak earthquake
- BI to punish payment service providers using Bitcoin