Kolese Kanisius alumni criticize school for inviting Anies to anniversary celebration
The Jakarta Post
The alumni of Kolese Kanisius, one of the oldest and most reputable all-male schools in Jakarta, have criticized organizers of the school’s anniversary celebration for inviting Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan to the event, saying that his values did not align with those of the school.
During the school’s 90th anniversary celebration on Saturday night at JIExpo Kemayoran in Central Jakarta, well-known pianist Ananda Sukarlan, an alumnus who received an award from the school for his achievements as a composer, said that he, along with other alumni, walked out when the newly elected governor delivered his remarks.
“We were surprised to learn that Pak Anies was there, why was he [invited]? His values are not in line with the principles taught at the school, particularly on differences [between] pribumi [indigenous] and non-indigenous,” Ananda told kompas.com on Monday.
He referred to Anies' remark during his first gubernatorial speech at City Hall last month in which he said pribumi people should be the leaders of the country. The remark triggered widespread criticism.
Ananda said that they returned to their seats after Anies finished his speech.
During his award speech, Ananda criticized the organizers of the event for inviting someone whose values he believed contradicted the school’s principles.
Meanwhile, Anies said that he was not aware the walkout had taken place and that he respected Ananda’s stance.
“I greet everyone and embrace all. If there was any negative reaction, that’s just a bonus for me,” Anies said on Monday. (fac)
- Me and my (porn) shadow: 'Spycam' epidemic seizes South Korea
- Setya Novanto pays $50,000 in restitution installment to KPK
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Indonesian tourism set to beat Thailand in 5 years
- Suspected HTI flag burning sparks controversy among Muslims
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Australia hits five Myanmar generals with sanctions
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world