Man threatens Paspampres who prevented him entering palace
The Jakarta Post
A man threatened to stab members of the Presidential Security Detail (Paspampres) after being refused admission to meet with President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo on Monday.
The incident occurred at around 6 p.m. on Monday during heavy rains when the man, identified as Basufi Parsiwan, tried to enter the Presidential Palace compound through a security gate on Jl. Veteran. He was stopped by Paspampres personnel, said Paspampres assistant intelligence officer Lt. Col. Urip Prihatman.
"He requested to meet with President Jokowi but was blocked as it was not in line with procedures," Urip said on Monday as quoted by Kompas.com.
Basufi insisted and threatened the personnel with a screwdriver, but he was immobilized without the use of firearms.
"He was aiming a 25-centimeter long screwdriver at security personnel," Urip said.
The 39-year-old man also shouted that he was a member of the so-called Islamic State movement. But it appears the man was suffering from a mental illness, according to a Paspampres investigation, said Urip.
During questioning, Basufi told the Paspampres that he was divorced and missed his child who lived in Banyumas, Central Java.
Basufi left Banyumas to work in Jakarta as an iced beverage vendor. He lives in a relative's house in Tangerang, Banten.
The security detail handed over Basufi to Gambir Police in Central Jakarta later on Monday evening. (ipa)
- Lake Toba to hold Gowes Samosir cycling event
- Karetan Market partners with waste management startup company
- Celebrity Fitri Carlina endorses Wonderful Indonesia, Banyuwangi tourism
- Block porn or be blocked, Indonesia warns Google, Twitter
- Tourism Ministry, KBRI promote five Indonesian destinations in Thailand
- West Papua to host Senja Kaimana Festival 2017
- Facebook launches new ‘Facebook Creator’ app for video content creators
- Karetan Market holds vlog competition for visitors
- East Java to host Situbondo Carnival
- Saung Angklung Udjo holds seventh Angklung Pride in Bandung