Persecuted couple in Tangerang gets married
The Jakarta Post
A couple from Cikupa in Tangerang, Banten, who were accused of having premarital sex and assaulted, got married on Tuesday.
They had a nikah siri (unregistered marriage) at the groom's house in Kadu Agung sub-district, Tangerang regency, attended by relatives and local administration officers.
One of the marriage witnesses was sub-district head Sulaeman, who confirmed that the ritual had been done. “For now, they are getting an unregistered marriage, later it will be officially registered,” Sulaeman said, as quoted by tempo.co
The couple was wrongly accused of having premarital sex at the bride’s home on Nov.11. As a result, local residents acted as vigilantes by stripping the couple and parading them. The couple was also physically assaulted.
Meanwhile, Tangerang Police Criminal Unit head Comr. Wiwin Setiawan said the police had registered their names to participate in a mass wedding on Dec. 8. (wnd)
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Shell eyeing Indonesia's LNG market
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- A world without America
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal