Persecuted couple in Tangerang gets married
The Jakarta Post
A couple from Cikupa in Tangerang, Banten, who were accused of having premarital sex and assaulted, got married on Tuesday.
They had a nikah siri (unregistered marriage) at the groom's house in Kadu Agung sub-district, Tangerang regency, attended by relatives and local administration officers.
One of the marriage witnesses was sub-district head Sulaeman, who confirmed that the ritual had been done. “For now, they are getting an unregistered marriage, later it will be officially registered,” Sulaeman said, as quoted by tempo.co
The couple was wrongly accused of having premarital sex at the bride’s home on Nov.11. As a result, local residents acted as vigilantes by stripping the couple and parading them. The couple was also physically assaulted.
Meanwhile, Tangerang Police Criminal Unit head Comr. Wiwin Setiawan said the police had registered their names to participate in a mass wedding on Dec. 8. (wnd)
- After stunning growth streak, Amazon ambitions seem boundless
- Romeo the lonesome frog is feelin' the love
- Fidel Castro is not Trudeau's real father: Canadian govt
- Daddy Yankee gets the world dancing again with viral song
- No instruction to bar Anies from pitch: Palace
- 'Do not test Israel', Netanyahu tells Iran, brandishing drone 'piece'
- Saudi women to start own busines without male permission
- Trudeau begins India trip with Taj Mahal visit
- Seeking post-Brexit unity, EU leaders find more fights
- Philippines says in talks with China for joint sea exploration