Persecuted couple in Tangerang gets married
The Jakarta Post
A couple from Cikupa in Tangerang, Banten, who were accused of having premarital sex and assaulted, got married on Tuesday.
They had a nikah siri (unregistered marriage) at the groom's house in Kadu Agung sub-district, Tangerang regency, attended by relatives and local administration officers.
One of the marriage witnesses was sub-district head Sulaeman, who confirmed that the ritual had been done. “For now, they are getting an unregistered marriage, later it will be officially registered,” Sulaeman said, as quoted by tempo.co
The couple was wrongly accused of having premarital sex at the bride’s home on Nov.11. As a result, local residents acted as vigilantes by stripping the couple and parading them. The couple was also physically assaulted.
Meanwhile, Tangerang Police Criminal Unit head Comr. Wiwin Setiawan said the police had registered their names to participate in a mass wedding on Dec. 8. (wnd)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines