Persecuted couple in Tangerang gets married
The Jakarta Post
A couple from Cikupa in Tangerang, Banten, who were accused of having premarital sex and assaulted, got married on Tuesday.
They had a nikah siri (unregistered marriage) at the groom's house in Kadu Agung sub-district, Tangerang regency, attended by relatives and local administration officers.
One of the marriage witnesses was sub-district head Sulaeman, who confirmed that the ritual had been done. “For now, they are getting an unregistered marriage, later it will be officially registered,” Sulaeman said, as quoted by tempo.co
The couple was wrongly accused of having premarital sex at the bride’s home on Nov.11. As a result, local residents acted as vigilantes by stripping the couple and parading them. The couple was also physically assaulted.
Meanwhile, Tangerang Police Criminal Unit head Comr. Wiwin Setiawan said the police had registered their names to participate in a mass wedding on Dec. 8. (wnd)
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018
- Rp 1 trillion invested through Bareksa digital investment portal
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'