Commentary: Democracy is worst form of government, indeed
Endy M. Bayuni
The late Soeharto has become something of a poster boy for leadership as the nation searches for a president who can effectively deliver the goods.
Photos of the smiling president, who ruled Indonesia between 1966-1998, appear everywhere, with the caption in Javanese “piye kabare, isih penak jamanku, tho?” (How are you, better in my era, wasn’t it?), a reminder that for some, life was...
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Yuval Noah Harari: '21 Lessons' from data, meditation to AI and 'Black Mirror'
- Indonesia soccer fans damage Asian Games stadium
- World Bank official drowns at Bali beach
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Four kids, riding motorbike without helmets, taught valuable lesson by cop
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games