KPK says it has built strong indictment against Setya
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) appears to be confident with its case against Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto in the alleged rigged e-ID procurement that implicates dozens of politicians.
The KPK submitted the indictment to the Jakarta Corruption Court on Wednesday, claiming that it had built a strong case against Setya after questioning 99 witnesses, besides securing sufficient evidence in the graft case that is believed to have caused Rp 2.3 trillion (US$170 million) in state losses.
"The witnesses were varied, from private companies to a notary, politicians and relevant ministerial officers,” KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said on Wednesday.
The indictment, to be presented in the upcoming first trial, will also map the alleged involvement of other actors in the case, particularly those who have reportedly benefited from the alleged foul play.
“We will also detail the process [corruption plot], from the deliberation of the e-ID project to relevant meetings and, of course the flow of the money to certain individuals," Febri said.
The KPK is racing against time in holding Setya responsible in one of country's biggest graft cases as the South Jakarta District Court is hearing a pretrial motion filed by Setya to challenge the KPK's decision to rename him a suspect.
A pretrial motion is automatically declared void if no ruling has been made by the time the corruption case is taken to court, as regulated under the Criminal Law Procedures Code (KUHAP). (vla/ipa)
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Canadian killed, American wounded in Mexico shooting
- Yazidi 'ex-sex slave' trapped both in Iraq and in German exile
- Pilgrims descend on Mecca for 'smart haj'
- Chinese plane slides off Manila airport runway in heavy rain
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world