Setya's graft trial to start next Wednesday
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Corruption Court has scheduled the first hearing in the trial of high-profile graft suspect Setya Novanto to be held next Wednesday, in a move that could turn the tables in favor of the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK).
The KPK is racing against time in holding Setya, the House of Representatives speaker and Golkar Party chairman, responsible for his alleged role in the e-ID graft case amid an ongoing pretrial challenge filed by Setya against the KPK's decision to name him a suspect.
A pretrial motion is automatically declared void if no ruling has been made by the time the corruption case is brought to court, as regulated by the Criminal Procedures Code (KUHAP).
"We received the case from the KPK yesterday afternoon. We also have scheduled the first hearing on Dec. 13 at 9 a.m.," court spokesman Ibnu Basuki Widodo told reporters on Thursday.
After a one-week delay, the second pretrial hearing session was held on Thursday, during which the sole judge Kusno granted the KPK another delay and adjourned the hearing until Friday morning.
At Thursday's pretrial hearing, Kusno said that he would "hand down the ruling either next Thursday or Friday at the latest".
The graft trial, meanwhile, according to Ibnu, will be presided over by judge Yanto who is also the Central Jakarta District Court head.
Yanto will succeed Jhon Halasan Butar Butar, a presiding judge in the trials of other defendants in the e-ID case who will soon be transferred to another court in West Kalimantan. (kmt/ipa)
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- Canadian killed, American wounded in Mexico shooting
- Yazidi 'ex-sex slave' trapped both in Iraq and in German exile
- Pilgrims descend on Mecca for 'smart haj'
- Chinese plane slides off Manila airport runway in heavy rain
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech