KPK screens Setya's e-ID hearing to void pretrial motion
The Jakarta Post
Prior to a pretrial hearing in which Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto is challenging his suspect status on Wednesday, the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) also presented evidence in a separate e-ID graft case hearing against Setya.
During the pretrial hearing at the South Jakarta Court District, the KPK set up a video projector to screen Setya’s e-ID case hearing at the Jakarta Corruption Court.
The first graft hearing, which was expected to see KPK prosecutors indict Setya, will automatically invalidate his pretrial motion that seeks to overturn his suspect status.
Aiming to seek confirmation from the pretrial hearing’s sole judge, Kusno, that the graft trial had indeed begun, the corruption court judge was shown on video striking his gavel to mark the beginning of the first hearing.
However, Setya's lawyers objected to the graft hearing being screened in the courtroom, suggesting that the KPK record the hearing and hand over the video to Kusno to allow him to make a decision later.
"This is to show that the graft trial has started," said KPK team member Efi Laila Kholis.
Kusno later called a one-and-a-half-hour recess.
"I sustain [the plaintiff's objection]. Please hand over the recording to the court. I will watch it alone to weigh whether it can be a benchmark [to render the pretrial motion void]," Kusno said. (vla/ipa)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Teen arrested for alleged rape of young earthquake survivor
- Indonesian religious minister denounces LGBT, but calls for people’s empathy
- Rupiah projected at Rp 15,000 per US dollar in 2019 state budget
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case