KPK screens Setya's e-ID hearing to void pretrial motion
The Jakarta Post
Prior to a pretrial hearing in which Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto is challenging his suspect status on Wednesday, the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) also presented evidence in a separate e-ID graft case hearing against Setya.
During the pretrial hearing at the South Jakarta Court District, the KPK set up a video projector to screen Setya’s e-ID case hearing at the Jakarta Corruption Court.
The first graft hearing, which was expected to see KPK prosecutors indict Setya, will automatically invalidate his pretrial motion that seeks to overturn his suspect status.
Aiming to seek confirmation from the pretrial hearing’s sole judge, Kusno, that the graft trial had indeed begun, the corruption court judge was shown on video striking his gavel to mark the beginning of the first hearing.
However, Setya's lawyers objected to the graft hearing being screened in the courtroom, suggesting that the KPK record the hearing and hand over the video to Kusno to allow him to make a decision later.
"This is to show that the graft trial has started," said KPK team member Efi Laila Kholis.
Kusno later called a one-and-a-half-hour recess.
"I sustain [the plaintiff's objection]. Please hand over the recording to the court. I will watch it alone to weigh whether it can be a benchmark [to render the pretrial motion void]," Kusno said. (vla/ipa)
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Child beggar coordinators arrested in Depok
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018