KPK screens Setya's e-ID hearing to void pretrial motion
The Jakarta Post
Prior to a pretrial hearing in which Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto is challenging his suspect status on Wednesday, the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) also presented evidence in a separate e-ID graft case hearing against Setya.
During the pretrial hearing at the South Jakarta Court District, the KPK set up a video projector to screen Setya’s e-ID case hearing at the Jakarta Corruption Court.
The first graft hearing, which was expected to see KPK prosecutors indict Setya, will automatically invalidate his pretrial motion that seeks to overturn his suspect status.
Aiming to seek confirmation from the pretrial hearing’s sole judge, Kusno, that the graft trial had indeed begun, the corruption court judge was shown on video striking his gavel to mark the beginning of the first hearing.
However, Setya's lawyers objected to the graft hearing being screened in the courtroom, suggesting that the KPK record the hearing and hand over the video to Kusno to allow him to make a decision later.
"This is to show that the graft trial has started," said KPK team member Efi Laila Kholis.
Kusno later called a one-and-a-half-hour recess.
"I sustain [the plaintiff's objection]. Please hand over the recording to the court. I will watch it alone to weigh whether it can be a benchmark [to render the pretrial motion void]," Kusno said. (vla/ipa)
- Facebook says social media not always healthy for democracy
- Indonesia seeks immediate return of two fishermen released by Abu Sayyaf
- ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal’ actor Jun Tae-soo dies
- 'Angkot' drivers protest Tanah Abang street closure
- EDITORIAL: Threat to Indonesian press
- US Defense Secretary Mattis holds meeting with Retno
- BI, government team up to control inflation
- Zero down-payment housing not for all: Sandiaga
- City plans to build permanent bridges in South Jakarta
- Shuttlers try newly renovated Istora stadium ahead of Indonesia Masters