Setya's pretrial hearing adjourned until Thursday
The Jakarta Post
The hearing for Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto’s pretrial motion has been adjourned at the South Jakarta District Court until Thursday, the sole judge presiding the case has announced.
Setya is challenging his suspect status in the e-ID graft case for a second time.
Both he and the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) went through the pretrial hearing on Wednesday, and judge Kusno is slated to read out his verdict on Thursday.
"It [Thursday’s hearing] will begin with both sides reading out their conclusions at 9 a.m., while the verdict will be read out at 2 p.m.," Kusno said before banging the gavel.
Political observers and activists expected the pretrial motion to be rendered void, given that Setya’s graft case was brought to the Jakarta Corruption Court the same day, as regulated by the Criminal Law Procedures Code (KUHAP).
Both Setya and the KPK accepted the adjournment.
Under KUHAP, a pretrial judge has seven days to hear a pretrial motion and issue a ruling.
"Whether [Setya’s pretrial motion] will be rendered void or not, that is up to the judge. We don’t mind, as long as [the decision] doesn’t take more than seven days," said the KPK's legal bureau chief, Setiadi.
Meanwhile, Setya's lawyer, Ketut Mulya Arsana, said: “The judge handled our motion professionally. It would be wrong of him to nullify the pretrial today [Wednesday].” (vla/ipa)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Teen arrested for alleged rape of young earthquake survivor
- Indonesian religious minister denounces LGBT, but calls for people’s empathy
- Rupiah projected at Rp 15,000 per US dollar in 2019 state budget
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case