Setya can be charged with money laundering, PPATK suggests
The Jakarta Post
The Financial Transaction Reports and Analysis Center (PPATK) has signaled that former House of Representatives speaker Setya Novanto could face money laundering charges in addition to the graft allegations leveled against him in the e-ID case.
The PPATK had submitted the results of its investigation into the former Golkar Party chairman’s financial transactions to the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK), PPATK chairman Kiagus Ahmad Badaruddin said on Tuesday.
When asked whether Setya would be charged with money laundering, he said: "Insya Allah [God willing].”
"[The decision] is in the hands of KPK investigators, who will look at our report," he added.
Setya is now standing trial for his alleged role in the embezzlement of funds intended for the e-ID card procurement project, which reportedly cost the state Rp 2.3 trillion (US$161 million).
The KPK accused him of using his influence to rig the tender for the project through his connections with security printing company PT Murakabi Sejahtera, which was appointed to assist the winner of the bid, state printing company PNRI.
KPK prosecutors said PT Murakabi Sejahtera was controlled by Setya through his family members.
Separately, PPATK deputy chairman Dian Ediana Rae said that the agency had urged law enforcers, especially the KPK, to also bring money laundering charges against graft suspects.
“This serves as additional punishment for suspects and could be used to recover lost assets,” she said. (ipa)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Teen arrested for alleged rape of young earthquake survivor
- Indonesian religious minister denounces LGBT, but calls for people’s empathy
- Rupiah projected at Rp 15,000 per US dollar in 2019 state budget
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case