PBB, PKPI move on to verification stage for 2019 legislative election
The Jakarta Post
The General Elections Commission (KPU) has announced that the Crescent Star Party (PBB) and the Indonesian Justice and Unity Party (PKPI) passed on Sunday the administrative assessment for participating in the 2019 general elections.
“Based on our evaluation of the documents from nine parties, the KPU has concluded that the two of them fulfilled the administrative criteria and will continue to the verification stage,” KPU commissioner Hasyim Asy’ari said on Sunday as reported by Antara.
The PBB and the PKPI are among the nine parties that filed a motion with the Election Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu) in November against the KPU’s decision to disqualify them from the election.
The seven other parties are the Idaman Party, the Bhinneka Indonesia Party, the Indonesian Employers and Workers Party (PPPI), the Republic Party, the People's Party, the Voice of Indonesian People’s Party (Parsindo) and the Indonesian Working Party (PIKA). These parties are also allowed to challenge the KPU’s latest decision.
“According to Law No. 7/2017, the parties that did not pass could file a motion with the Bawaslu within three days after the KPU has made the decision,” said Bawaslu commissioner Fritz Edward Siregar.
A total of 14 parties are to be verified for contesting the 2019 legislative election.
“We will verify new parties in all regions. Meanwhile, for older parties, we will only verify them in the new autonomous regions,” KPU chairman Arief Budiman said, referring to the 10 parties that have contested previous elections.
These parties will be verified in North Kalimantan province and 17 new regencies and cities. (ami/ary)
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Child beggar coordinators arrested in Depok
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018