Ahok receives 15-day sentence cut
The Jakarta Post
Former Jakarta governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama’s lawyer, Teguh Samudra, said Ahok had received 15 days of Christmas remission along with other 9,333 convicts throughout the country.
“Pak Ahok has been granted 15 days of remission,” Teguh said recently as quoted by tempo.co.
The Law and Human Rights Ministry’s acting director general for correctional facilities, Makmun, said as of Dec.18, there were 227,446 convicts in the nation, 15,748 of whom were Christians.
“There are 9,333 convicts that received remission,” said Makmun.
According to him, the Christian convicts who received special remission were considered based on their criminal acts. If they were corruption convicts, they were required to be justice collaborators to receive remission.
The remission, Makmun added, varied from 15 days to two months at most, which is based on the length of their original sentence.
Ahok was sentenced to two years after being convicted of blasphemy. Earlier, Ahok’s other lawyer, I Wayan Sudirta, said his client would receive remission on Christmas as he had been imprisoned for more than six months. Ahok, who has been behind bars since May, is also considered well behaved. (wnd/wit)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says