Holiday air traffic to surge beyond initial projection
The Jakarta Post
The Transportation Ministry has said that air traffic during the holiday season is likely to increase beyond the initial projection of 5 percent, with the number of passengers having increased by 5.8 percent on average from normal days.
"During peak days, the number of passengers increased by between 11 and 12 percent, but during the four days after Christmas, it only increased by between 1 and 2 percent,” Transportation Ministry air transportation director general Agus Santoso said at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, Banten, on Friday.
He projected that air traffic would significantly increase when people return home from vacation.
The government had anticipated a possible increase in seasonal holiday traffic between Dec. 18 and Jan. 8.
Ministry data show that the number of passengers of domestic flights reached 2.94 million from Dec. 18 to 27, a 8.88 percent increase from the figure in the same period last year, while the number of passengers of international flights reached 456.319, 0.23 percent down from the figure in the same period last year.
Meanwhile, Agus explained that the on-time-performance (OTP) of flights currently stood at 80 percent, unchanged from last year.
Agus said he hoped that the figure would increase to a whole-year performance of 85 percent.
"We wanted to improve the OTP, but the delays during the surging number of passengers was inevitable," he added. (srs/bbn)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Teen arrested for alleged rape of young earthquake survivor
- Indonesian religious minister denounces LGBT, but calls for people’s empathy
- Rupiah projected at Rp 15,000 per US dollar in 2019 state budget
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case