Jokowi swears in new chief of national cyber agency
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has instated Djoko Setiadi as the chairman of the newly established National Cyber and Encryption Agency (BSSN), responsible for the nation's cyberspace.
Djoko, former chairman of the National Encryption Agency (Lemsaneg), was sworn in at the State Palace on Wednesday.
The long-awaited installation of the national cyber agency chief follows the presidential regulation signed on Dec. 16, 2017, which established the agency under the president's authority. Initially, the BSSN was set up as a state institution under the supervision of the Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister.
“This is a very important agency that the state needs, especially to anticipate the rapidly developing cyber world,” Jokowi said at Wednesday's ceremony.
Djoko said the BSSN would also take a role in tackling the rampant cases of hoaxes and fake news on social media, particularly ahead of this year’s regional elections and the 2019 presidential and legislative elections. He added that the agency would ensure that the elections would run smoothly in a healthy environment to produce the best leaders.
“Don’t [make] insulting posts and those that are not proper for spreading. We must reduce that kind of thing,” Djoko said after the ceremony.
The agency is to cooperate with the State Intelligence Agency (BIN) and the Communication and Information Ministry, as well as the National Police, in managing those who spread fake news and hoaxes.
“We will take action. We will first warn them to stop it. But if they persist [in the activity], then we will impose [sanctions],” he said. (vla)
- Engineers union to analyze cause of IDX collapsed floor
- Indonesia's foreign debt stands at $347.3b, 34% of GDP
- Couple forced to marry after caught being alone at fruit farm
- Voldemort film now available for free on YouTube
- Indonesia, Turkey team up to develop military drones
- Police issue second summons for Sandiaga
- IDX Tower 2 never been renovated: Management
- Mother allegedly kills her baby at restaurant
- Virtual reality, interactive avatars among cruise trends of 2018
- Rappler Indonesia to soldier on despite license revocation