Dems say candidates treated unfairly in lead-up to elections
The Jakarta Post
The Democratic Party called a meeting on Wednesday led by party chairman Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to discuss matters concerning the party’s contenders in regional elections.
“There has been arbitrary and unfair treatment of [the Democratic Party] and its cadres who have or will contest elections,” Democratic Party secretary-general Hinca Panjaitan said.
He mentioned as an example Sylviana Murni, who was backed by the Democratic Party to be the running mate of Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono, who ran for Jakarta governor last year.
Sylviana was questioned regarding a graft case just before the election.
Hinca said in the latest incident, which prompted the party to hold the meeting, Syaharie Jaang and Rizal Effendi, a candidate pair supported by the Democratic Party in the 2018 North Kalimantan gubernatorial election, had been summoned by the police in connection with a different graft case.
Hinca said the summons was sent after Syaharie declined an offer by a political party to be the running mate of North Kalimantan Police chief Insp. Gen. Safaruddin in a regional election.
“This is unfair treatment. Pak Syaharie was asked several times to pair with [Safaruddin] and it was implied that if he rejected the offer, there could be a legal case against him.”
A couple of days later, Syaharie and Rizal were summoned by the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department for questioning. “This can be regarded as intervention by law enforcers,” Hinca said. (nmn/ebf)
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices