Dems say candidates treated unfairly in lead-up to elections
The Jakarta Post
The Democratic Party called a meeting on Wednesday led by party chairman Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to discuss matters concerning the party’s contenders in regional elections.
“There has been arbitrary and unfair treatment of [the Democratic Party] and its cadres who have or will contest elections,” Democratic Party secretary-general Hinca Panjaitan said.
He mentioned as an example Sylviana Murni, who was backed by the Democratic Party to be the running mate of Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono, who ran for Jakarta governor last year.
Sylviana was questioned regarding a graft case just before the election.
Hinca said in the latest incident, which prompted the party to hold the meeting, Syaharie Jaang and Rizal Effendi, a candidate pair supported by the Democratic Party in the 2018 North Kalimantan gubernatorial election, had been summoned by the police in connection with a different graft case.
Hinca said the summons was sent after Syaharie declined an offer by a political party to be the running mate of North Kalimantan Police chief Insp. Gen. Safaruddin in a regional election.
“This is unfair treatment. Pak Syaharie was asked several times to pair with [Safaruddin] and it was implied that if he rejected the offer, there could be a legal case against him.”
A couple of days later, Syaharie and Rizal were summoned by the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department for questioning. “This can be regarded as intervention by law enforcers,” Hinca said. (nmn/ebf)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Instant Noodle Longform