Court to pursue mediation in Ahok-Veronica divorce
The Jakarta Post
The North Jakarta District Court is to pursue a course of mediation in the divorce proceedings of former Jakarta governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama and his wife, Veronica Tan, the court's spokesperson said on Tuesday.
The mediation procedures are stipulated in Supreme Court Regulation No. 1/2016 on Court-Sanctioned Mediation Procedures, although the regulation does not mandate mediation for marriage disputes.
Court spokesperson Jootje Sampalaeng said on Tuesday that it was hoped the mediation would bring the couple back together again.
“If they can, they should make peace because it will be more beautiful,” Jootje said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
He added that each party could appoint their own mediator or request the judicial panel to appoint a mediator. The mediators will decide whether the mediation will be open or closed to the public.
Ahok filed for divorce from his wife, Veronica Tan, with the North Jakarta District Court on Jan. 5. The divorce papers were filed through his legal representative, Josefina Agatha Syukur. as Ahok is currently incarcerated at the Police's Mobile Brigade Command headquarters in Depok, West Java, serving a two-year sentence for blasphemy.
Josefina, who will also represent Ahok in the divorce mediation, said on Tuesday that she respected the planned mediation. “Let’s pray that the mediation will proceed well and make [the couple] get back together again.” (wnd)
- SBY instructs Roy Suryo to shun media
- Afghan migrants go on rampage at Balikpapan detention center
- Saudi drafts drone regulation after security alarm
- Bridge collapses in Tegal, Central Java
- Say no to plastic straws, urges antiplastic campaign
- Avicii death a coming-of-age in electronic music boom
- Jagorawi toll traffic under control thanks to odd-even policy: Jasa Marga
- Introducing Indonesian coffee through ‘Ngopi Sore’ in Washington DC
- Sumatran tiger captured after 100 days of hunting
- Deputy police chief dies in N. Sumatra speedboat accident