Court to pursue mediation in Ahok-Veronica divorce
The Jakarta Post
The North Jakarta District Court is to pursue a course of mediation in the divorce proceedings of former Jakarta governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama and his wife, Veronica Tan, the court's spokesperson said on Tuesday.
The mediation procedures are stipulated in Supreme Court Regulation No. 1/2016 on Court-Sanctioned Mediation Procedures, although the regulation does not mandate mediation for marriage disputes.
Court spokesperson Jootje Sampalaeng said on Tuesday that it was hoped the mediation would bring the couple back together again.
“If they can, they should make peace because it will be more beautiful,” Jootje said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
He added that each party could appoint their own mediator or request the judicial panel to appoint a mediator. The mediators will decide whether the mediation will be open or closed to the public.
Ahok filed for divorce from his wife, Veronica Tan, with the North Jakarta District Court on Jan. 5. The divorce papers were filed through his legal representative, Josefina Agatha Syukur. as Ahok is currently incarcerated at the Police's Mobile Brigade Command headquarters in Depok, West Java, serving a two-year sentence for blasphemy.
Josefina, who will also represent Ahok in the divorce mediation, said on Tuesday that she respected the planned mediation. “Let’s pray that the mediation will proceed well and make [the couple] get back together again.” (wnd)
- Trump's trip to Europe: Top five highlights
- Microsoft urges regulation of face-recognizing tech
- Densus 88 shoot dead three alleged terrorists in Yogyakarta
- Learning from France’s multiculturalism, World Cup run
- Trump says Queen thinks Brexit is 'very complex problem': Report
- Tokyo’s reign as world’s largest city fades
- Airbus near blockbuster $23 billion jet sale to AirAsia
- Saudi woman could be jailed for hugging pop star
- 52 alleged robbers shot by police ahead of Asian Games
- White House, CNN in fresh row over scrapped Bolton interview