In regional elections, compete with ideas not smear campaigns, says Jokowi
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has urged all hopefuls taking part in this year’s regional elections to contest it fairly and avoid smear campaigns for the sake of peaceful elections.
“Refrain from insulting each other. We really need to eradicate smear campaigns from our democratic process,” the President said in East Nusa Tenggara on Monday, as reported by tempo.co.
The General Elections Commission (KPU) officially opened registration for candidates running in the third concurrent regional elections on Monday and Wednesday.
Jokowi reiterated that democracy in Indonesia must reflect the nation’s values that uphold politeness. He urged the candidates to seek fairness in competition to create peaceful elections.
“Please compete against each other with track records, ideas, programs and planning. Those things need to be highlighted,” he added. (nmn)
- Bekasi wants roads free of 'Pak Ogah'
- Anies orders transportation agency, police to ticket traffic violators
- FBI warned Trump's son in-law on Murdoch ex-wife: report
- Police issue second summons for Sandiaga
- Newly opened Pancoran overpass lacks worthiness certificate
- Immigration office hunts two foreigners at protest in Batam
- Engineers union to analyze cause of IDX collapsed floor
- Indonesia's foreign debt stands at $347.3b, 34% of GDP
- Voldemort film now available for free on YouTube
- Couple forced to marry after caught being alone at fruit farm