In regional elections, compete with ideas not smear campaigns, says Jokowi
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has urged all hopefuls taking part in this year’s regional elections to contest it fairly and avoid smear campaigns for the sake of peaceful elections.
“Refrain from insulting each other. We really need to eradicate smear campaigns from our democratic process,” the President said in East Nusa Tenggara on Monday, as reported by tempo.co.
The General Elections Commission (KPU) officially opened registration for candidates running in the third concurrent regional elections on Monday and Wednesday.
Jokowi reiterated that democracy in Indonesia must reflect the nation’s values that uphold politeness. He urged the candidates to seek fairness in competition to create peaceful elections.
“Please compete against each other with track records, ideas, programs and planning. Those things need to be highlighted,” he added. (nmn)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Huawei gives free power banks to people queuing for new iPhone
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT