In regional elections, compete with ideas not smear campaigns, says Jokowi
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has urged all hopefuls taking part in this year’s regional elections to contest it fairly and avoid smear campaigns for the sake of peaceful elections.
“Refrain from insulting each other. We really need to eradicate smear campaigns from our democratic process,” the President said in East Nusa Tenggara on Monday, as reported by tempo.co.
The General Elections Commission (KPU) officially opened registration for candidates running in the third concurrent regional elections on Monday and Wednesday.
Jokowi reiterated that democracy in Indonesia must reflect the nation’s values that uphold politeness. He urged the candidates to seek fairness in competition to create peaceful elections.
“Please compete against each other with track records, ideas, programs and planning. Those things need to be highlighted,” he added. (nmn)
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- 5 wall shelf design ideas for small spaces
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu