Domestic violence suspect faces up to 20 years in prison
The Jakarta Post
A man suspected of assaulting his pregnant wife out of jealousy, leading to the death of their baby boy in Tanah Tinggi, Johar Baru, Central Jakarta, faces up to 20 years in prison.
Jakarta Police’ general crimes unit chief Sr. Comr. Nico Afinta said on Wednesday that the perpetrator had been charged under the domestic violence eradication article of the Criminal Law and the Child Protection Law.
Based on the police's investigation, the suspect allegedly abused his 21-year-old eight-month-pregnant wife on Jan. 4 at around 10 pm. The barefooted man kicked the woman to her lower abdomen and left waist several times. During the attack he repeatedly asked his wife whether the baby was his or not.
Nico said the victim was later sent to Budi Kemuliaan Hospital, Central Jakarta on Jan. 5 for emergency surgery because of the critical condition of the baby.
"Unfortunately, a day after the cesarean section surgery, the newborn baby boy died. During the surgery, the doctor found that the placenta had already broken, and based on the autopsy this resulted in the baby suffering from a lack of oxygen," Nico said during a press conference.
Jakarta Police's Women and Children Protection Unit head, Endang Sri Lestari said that throughout 2017 alone, a total of 439 domestic violence cases had been recorded in Jakarta.
Meanwhile, the victim is now in a better condition, and has returned home after undergoing medical treatment at the hospital. (roi)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Instant Noodle Longform