KPK names Setya’s lawyer, doctor suspects in obstruction of justice case
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has leveled up its investigation into an obstruction of justice case by naming an attorney and a medical doctor as suspects for allegedly helping embattled politician and graft suspect Setya Novanto avoid law enforcement.
The antigraft agency had named Setya’s lawyer, Frederich Yunadi, and Bimanesh Sutarjo, a medical doctor at private hospital Medika in Permata Hijau, Jakarta, suspects on Wednesday.
“There had been allegations of purportedly preventing the corruption investigation by the KPK into the e-ID case,” commissioner Basaria Panjaitan said in a press conference on Wednesday.
Investigators raided Setya’s house on Nov. 15 in order to arrest him as he had failed to respond to the agency's summonses. A day later, he was involved in an accident when the car he was in hit an electricity pole. He was admitted to Medika before eventually being detained by the KPK on Nov. 19
"They [Fredrich and Bimanesh allegedly] cooperated to admit Setya to the hospital for treatment with a manipulated medical record so that he could avoid investigation by KPK investigators," Basaria added.
The KPK also suspected Fredrich was involved in the hospital stint as he allegedly had arrived earlier in the hospital to coordinate with doctors, she added.
“We urge those who work as lawyers and doctors to work in line with their professions’ code of ethics and not get involved in the hampering of legal enforcement efforts, especially in graft probes,” Basaria said, adding that the KPK thanked doctors at Cipto Mangunkusumo National Central General Hospital as well as the Indonesian Doctors Association (IDI), which had both helped investigators in the case.
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters