KPK names Setya’s lawyer, doctor suspects in obstruction of justice case
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has leveled up its investigation into an obstruction of justice case by naming an attorney and a medical doctor as suspects for allegedly helping embattled politician and graft suspect Setya Novanto avoid law enforcement.
The antigraft agency had named Setya’s lawyer, Frederich Yunadi, and Bimanesh Sutarjo, a medical doctor at private hospital Medika in Permata Hijau, Jakarta, suspects on Wednesday.
“There had been allegations of purportedly preventing the corruption investigation by the KPK into the e-ID case,” commissioner Basaria Panjaitan said in a press conference on Wednesday.
Investigators raided Setya’s house on Nov. 15 in order to arrest him as he had failed to respond to the agency's summonses. A day later, he was involved in an accident when the car he was in hit an electricity pole. He was admitted to Medika before eventually being detained by the KPK on Nov. 19
"They [Fredrich and Bimanesh allegedly] cooperated to admit Setya to the hospital for treatment with a manipulated medical record so that he could avoid investigation by KPK investigators," Basaria added.
The KPK also suspected Fredrich was involved in the hospital stint as he allegedly had arrived earlier in the hospital to coordinate with doctors, she added.
“We urge those who work as lawyers and doctors to work in line with their professions’ code of ethics and not get involved in the hampering of legal enforcement efforts, especially in graft probes,” Basaria said, adding that the KPK thanked doctors at Cipto Mangunkusumo National Central General Hospital as well as the Indonesian Doctors Association (IDI), which had both helped investigators in the case.
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- US centers force migrant children to take drugs -lawsuit
- Traveler forgets father at rest stop upon return from Lebaran holiday