Do not exceed price ceilings, ministry tells rice stakeholders
The Jakarta Post
The government has required retailers, distributors and suppliers of rice to sell the commodity at no higher than the set price ceilings, Trade Minister Enggartiasto Lukita said on Friday, stressing that the ministry would punish those found in violation of the policy.
"I invite all retailers, distributors and suppliers to take part in maintaining the price of premium and medium-quality rice at the [price] ceilings,” Enggartiasto said during a press conference in Jakarta on Friday.
He said the policy would apply to all stakeholders in the rice industry, and the Trade Ministry would monitor its implementation in the field, including by watching suppliers and distributors who keep their rice in warehouses.
"So, if you come across suppliers who don't distribute their rice, please report them to me. I will find out who they are,” he said, adding that his ministry had teamed up with the National Police to enforce the law against violators of the new policy.
The ministry’s price ceilings for rice were introduced in August 2017 to stand at between Rp 12,800 (89 US cents) per kilogram and Rp 13,600 per kilogram for premium-quality rice and between Rp 9,450 and Rp 10,250 per kg for medium-quality rice.
In markets, however, prices have exceeded the ceilings.
Enggartiasto also required all relevant firms to report the location of their respective warehouses, adding that unreported warehouses would be considered illegal by the ministry. (srs/bbn)
- Christie's to auction rare watch once owned by Egyptian king
- Freeport has cost $13 billion losses in environmental damage, says BPK
- Tax office eyes 14m taxpayers' annual reports this year
- Canned sardines contaminated with thread worms, BPOM confirms
- E-cigarettes more likely to get people started on smoking: Study
- Brunei, Indonesia work on new hybrid paddy varieties
- Piles of trash continue to flow onto Tangerang shore
- Marine personnel rebuild roads, houses ahead of naval exercises
- PDI-P strengthens ties with Golkar
- Jakarta to see medium rain but remain hot during equinox