KPK arrests Setya’s no-show lawyer
Gemma Holliani Cahya
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has arrested Fredrich Yunadi, a lawyer and suspect of obstruction of justice, only hours after he failed to appear for questioning on Friday.
Fredrich had allegedly helped graft defendant and his former client Setya Novanto to avoid being investigated in the e-ID graft case.
After pursuing him in various locations in Jakarta, KPK investigators managed to arrest Fredrich in an undisclosed area in South Jakarta on Friday, minutes before midnight, KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said.
"We had warned [him] to ensure he show up for [Friday's] questioning," Febri said on Saturday. "The investigators had waited for him until working hours were over on Friday."
Febri said the reason for the arrest was because the investigators had enough evidence to pin Fredrich in the obstruction of justice case.
Following his arrest, Fredrich arrived at the KPK headquarters at around 12:10 a.m. on Saturday and refused to comment, kompas.com reported.
The KPK has said Fredrich, along with other suspect Bimanesh Sutarjo, a doctor at private hospital Medika Permata Hijau in Jakarta, had allegedly conspired to manipulate Setya’s medical records and admit him to hospital following a car accident last November, thus allowing Setya, who at that time was a graft suspect, to avoid being investigated by the KPK.
Bimanesh was detained earlier on Friday after he underwent questioning.
Fredrich has represented Setya since the latter was first named a graft suspect in July 2017. Last December, Fredrich quit the job when Setya was about to face the graft trial. (kuk/ipa)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- We deserve more choices
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- US centers force migrant children to take drugs -lawsuit
- Wiji Thukul's daughter heals tragedy with poetry
- Traveler forgets father at rest stop upon return from Lebaran holiday