Man behind Medan family murder sentenced to death
The Jakarta Post
The Medan District Court in North Sumatra has sentenced to death a man who was found guilty of murdering a family of five in April last year.
Andi Lala was "proven guilty of violating the Criminal Code on premeditated murder," presiding judge Dominggus Silaban said as he read out the court’s verdict on Friday afternoon. "We sentence the defendant Andi Lala to death.”
According to details presented by prosecutors in court, Andi killed Riyanto, 50, at his own home after he failed to produce the Rp 5 million (US$375) worth of crystal methamphetamine Andi had paid for.
Andi had brought along his nephew, Roni Anggoro, and a friend, Andy Syahputera, to help him with the murder.
The three also killed Riyanto's wife Sri Ariyani, their two children and mother-in-law Sumarni.
Riyanto's youngest child, who at the time was 4 years old, survived.
Judges also sentenced Roni and Andy to life in prison. (hol/ipa)
- Jakarta Planetarium to host public lunar eclipse observation on Jan 31
- Auction lowered price of industrial sugar, Trade Ministry says
- 8.2 magnitude quake hits off coast of Alaska: USGS
- Depok men arrested for allegedly uploading sex video
- BREAKING: Strong 6.4 earthquake hits Banten, no tsunami warning
- Earthquake leads to traffic jams in Jakarta
- Jokowi criticizes regions for lengthy business permit issuance
- Hundreds of houses damaged by Lebak earthquake
- Defector soldier 'committed murder in North Korea': report
- Quake causes minor damage at airport, Depok City Hall