US Defense Secretary Mattis holds meeting with Retno
US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis held on Monday evening a closed-door meeting with Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi at the Foreign Affairs Ministry's office in Central Jakarta.
Mattis arrived at the office shortly before 8 p.m. and directly met with Retno.
Mattis is scheduled to meet on Tuesday with President Joko 'Jokowi" Widodo and Defense Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu for talks on maritime cooperation.
The Pentagon chief began Sunday his one-week trip to Asia, hoping to strengthen defense cooperation with Indonesia and Vietnam as regional Chinese military power looms ever larger.
In Vietnam, Mattis and his counterparts are set to discuss freedom of movement in the South China Sea, a region over which Beijing has extended its dominance in recent years, militarizing several small, disputed islands
- Asian Games: Poor ticket handling after spectacular opening
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- BREAKING: Another 7-magnitude quake hits Lombok
- Strong earthquake hits off Fiji, no tsunami threat
- Twitter erupts as Asian Games opening ceremony praised by netizens
- Pontianak urges school closure for smog
- Jokowi opens Asian Games in dazzling ceremony
- Indonesia denies reports on Jakarta's air pollution during Asian Games
- Aftershocks hit Lombok, cause landslides on Mt. Rinjani
- Shots fired at US embassy in Ankara, no casualties