Jokowi calls for evaluation of strategic projects
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has called for a review of the country's strategic projects to evaluate which projects can be implemented and which cannot.
"I have asked the Coordinating Economic Minister [Darmin Nasution] to study which projects can be executed and which projects cannot,” Jokowi said during a Cabinet meeting at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta on Monday.
The strategic projects are based on Presidential Regulation No. 3/2016 and are to receive special treatment such as faster land acquisition and quicker issuance of business permits.
Initially, the government introduced 225 strategic projects, but the number was revised to 245 under Presidential Regulation No. 58/2017.
According to data from the Priority Infrastructure Development Acceleration Committee (KPPIP), as of Dec. 2017, 26 strategic projects had been completed — 20 projects were completed in 2016 with the other six projects completed last year.
Meanwhile, Darmin said he was worried about the fate of projects in the three Special Economic Zones (KEK). “I started to be worried about several KEKs, which have been planned in the last two or three years and were to be inaugurated, but the progress of which remains uncertain,” he said at his office, adding that he would propose to halt the development of such KEKs.
He said land acquisition was the main issue facing KEK development. Therefore, for any proposed KEK, the initiators are required to acquire half of the land intended to be used. (bbn)
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Shell eyeing Indonesia's LNG market
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- A world without America
- Beijing's new airport comes with new construction tech
- Indonesia to invite Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in to attend Asiad
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Under fire, Trump says he misspoke on Russia election meddling
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world