Jokowi calls for unity as local election campaign kicks off
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has called for Indonesians to maintain unity and harmony as the local election campaign period begun today.
“Let’s maintain our unity, harmony and solidarity. Don’t let elections of governors, regents, mayors and president divide us,” Jokowi said during a visit to Gowa, South Sulawesi, on Thursday.
Jokowi added that Indonesia had been blessed with diversity in religions and ethnicities.
“Diversity is God’s blessing for our country. Let’s maintain that together,” he said.
Today marked the first day of the campaign period for the simultaneous local elections. On June 27, 171 areas including 17 provinces, 39 cities and 115 regencies, will see eligible voters casting the ballot to choose their leaders.
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Instant Noodle Longform