Jokowi calls for unity as local election campaign kicks off
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has called for Indonesians to maintain unity and harmony as the local election campaign period begun today.
“Let’s maintain our unity, harmony and solidarity. Don’t let elections of governors, regents, mayors and president divide us,” Jokowi said during a visit to Gowa, South Sulawesi, on Thursday.
Jokowi added that Indonesia had been blessed with diversity in religions and ethnicities.
“Diversity is God’s blessing for our country. Let’s maintain that together,” he said.
Today marked the first day of the campaign period for the simultaneous local elections. On June 27, 171 areas including 17 provinces, 39 cities and 115 regencies, will see eligible voters casting the ballot to choose their leaders.
- Local residents slaughter 292 crocodiles in Sorong farm
- Indonesia among world’s less stressed countries
- Government oversells PT Freeport Indonesia agreement
- Third coalition at stake after Muhaimin's maneuver
- Densus 88 shoot dead three alleged terrorists in Yogyakarta
- Trump's trip to Europe: Top five highlights
- Saudi woman could be jailed for hugging pop star
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- KPK raids PLN president director's house in Jakarta