Jokowi calls for unity as local election campaign kicks off
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has called for Indonesians to maintain unity and harmony as the local election campaign period begun today.
“Let’s maintain our unity, harmony and solidarity. Don’t let elections of governors, regents, mayors and president divide us,” Jokowi said during a visit to Gowa, South Sulawesi, on Thursday.
Jokowi added that Indonesia had been blessed with diversity in religions and ethnicities.
“Diversity is God’s blessing for our country. Let’s maintain that together,” he said.
Today marked the first day of the campaign period for the simultaneous local elections. On June 27, 171 areas including 17 provinces, 39 cities and 115 regencies, will see eligible voters casting the ballot to choose their leaders.
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- US policeman fatally shoots black guard who detained gunman