Thamrin bombing financier middleman testifies in court
The Jakarta Post
A middleman to the alleged financier of the 2016 Thamrin suicide bombing said on Tuesday he was assigned by a man named Iwan Darmawan Muntho, alias Rois, to hand over US$30,000 for weapons smuggling.
The middleman, Adi Jahidi, was a witness in a hearing against radical cleric Aman Abdurrahman, the alleged mastermind of the gun and bomb attack in Central Jakarta that killed eight people, including five terrorists.
Adi told the South Jakarta District Court that he visited Rois at the latter’s cell in Nusakambangan high-security prison island in Central Java, where Rois assigned him to take money from someone and later on handed over the money to two other men, named Suryadi Mas'ud and Zainal Anshori, to smuggle weapons.
Rois and Aman were imprisoned in Nusakambangan.
“I received the money from the unknown person in a mall in Serang [in Banten]. After making an appointment, I came to the mall. [The person] knocked on the window, shook hand with me and said ‘This is the thing’,” Adi said according to kompas.com.
The money was put in a plastic bag, and after receiving it, Adi said he directly left the mall.
He further said he delivered $3,000 to Suryadi and $20,000 to Zainal. The rest of the money was delivered to the Philippines through Suryadi.
Adi testified that he did not know that the money would be used for terrorism.
He said he just realized the money would be used for such purposes during the police investigation.
Adi also said Rois ordered him to take four ATM cards from the latter’s friend and bought 15 plane tickets to Syria.
Aman, who is also a supporter of the Islamic State (IS) movement, is also facing another trial on the 2017 Kampung Melayu twin suicide bombings in East Jakarta. (cal)
- Australian arrested for alleged street assault
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu