Instagram account reported for alleged slander
The Jakarta Post
Tubagus Hasanuddin and Anton Charliyan, the West Java governor and deputy governor candidates nominated by the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), reported an Instagram account for alleged slander to the Elections Supervisory Agency’s (Bawaslu) legal division on Wednesday.
They reported a post from Instagram account @perisai.rakyat21 that shows a picture of Hasanuddin and Anton at their campaign event, with the text "Hasetan", an abbreviation of Hasanuddin-Anton Setan (Hasanuddin-Anton is Satan). The picture was posted on the Instagram account at around 9 p.m. on Tuesday.
The team found the post on Wednesday morning.
According to the candidates' lawyer, Indra Sudrajat, although his client was no stranger to social media attacks, the recent Instagram post went too far. “We are going to report this case to the police as well,” Indra said.
According to Yusuf Kurnia, a Bawaslu official in West Java, if found guilty of violating Law No. 1/2014 on gubernatorial and regional elections, the suspect faces a maximum sentence of 18 months' imprisonment and a fine of Rp 6 million (US$436.80).
The lawyer said he hoped the case would not affect the elections on June 27.(sha/ebf)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Instant Noodle Longform