Jokowi, Airlangga hold election talks at Bogor Palace
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo spent the morning jogging with Golkar Party leader Airlangga Hartarto at the Bogor Palace in West Java on Saturday, during which time they talked about the 2019 presidential election.
The meeting between the two politicians came a day after Golkar, the second-largest party to back Jokowi, announced during its working meeting in Jakarta that it was seeking to pair one of its members, including perhaps Airlangga, with Jokowi.
Airlangga, however, said that Golkar would give Jokowi the freedom to choose his running mate. “That depends on the President. The most important things is Golkar will safeguard the NKRI [Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia].”
Airlangga, who also serves as industry minister in Jokowi's Cabinet, said that Golkar wanted a figure who could support the President and maintain the integrity of the nation.
"[The candidate] must be able to support the President and both of them can work together in maintaining the nation's integrity," he said as quoted by Antara.
Previously on Thursday, Airlangga said Jokowi was “comfortable” working with a Golkar member, citing the fact that Jokowi’s vice president is Jusuf Kalla, a former Golkar chairman.
He said he was convinced that Jokowi would be re-elected in 2019. (foy/ahw)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Instant Noodle Longform