Over 10 million individual tax returns submitted as of deadline day
The Jakarta Post
Over 10 million individual taxpayers had submitted their annual tax returns as of Saturday morning, Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said.
The number is still below the Finance Ministry's target of 80 percent of the 18 million individual taxpayers that are subject to the annual tax return filing, which amounts to about 14.4 million.
"Up till today, we have received 10,051,101 individual tax returns," Sri Mulyani said after a visit to a Central Jakarta tax office on Saturday.
About 8.2 million of the tax returns were filed using the online e-filing system, while the remaining 1.8 million were filed manually.
"Today every tax office in Indonesia is open to receive individual tax return filing," the Finance Ministry's Director General of Taxation Robert Pakpahan said. "But you don't have to come to the tax office to file, it can also be done online."
Both Sri Mulyani and Robert acknowledged that there had been some network issues that made it difficult for some taxpayers to file their returns online.
Sri Mulyani said that one way to avoid such problems would be to file long before the deadline, to avoid overloading the servers.
"I urge all taxpayers not to wait until the deadline. Next year we will campaign about this again," she said, adding that the ministry would also continue to improve its network capacity.
Taxpayers who miss the deadline are subject to a fine of Rp 100,000 (US$7.27). (kmt/evi)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Instant Noodle Longform