Scenic Tour de Lombok Mandalika on horizon
The Jakarta Post
The second edition of Tour de Lombok Mandalika, a 366.8-km race sanctioned by Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), the world governing body for cycling, is set to feature a three-stage race that will run from April 13 to 15 in West Nusa Tenggara (NTB).
Dozens of riders from 18 countries will take part in the tour, which is classified as a 2.2 event – the lowest level – in the UCI calendar.
The three-stage race consists of the 84.4-km Kuta Mandalika-Kota Mataram route, the 172.4-km Mataram-Sembalun route in East Lombok and the 110-km Kota Mataram circuit race.
“Today, we officially launched the Tour de Lombok Mandalika event as part of our preparations to make sure that all routes are ready,” NTB Tourism Agency head Mohammad Faozal said on Sunday.
In the first stage – the Kuta Mandalika-Kota Mataram route – cyclists will experience scenic beaches in the Mandalika special economic zone and catch a glimpse of the daily lives of those in Sade and Ende, traditional Sasak villages.
In the second stage, the Mataram-Sembalun route will present Sembalun village, a halal tourist destination and one of two gateways to Mount Rinjani – Indonesia’s second-highest peak at 3,726 meters high – in East Lombok.
Sembalun was awarded World’s Best Halal Honeymoon Destination at the 2016 World Halal Tourism Awards in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The circuit race in the final stage will take participants to several popular tourist spots in the provincial capital, including Jl. Lingkar Ampenan with its beach views, Ampenan Old Town and Sangkareang Park.
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- US arrests Chinese national on spying charge