Gerindra consider backing Gatot for presidential election
The Jakarta Post
The Gerindra Party's central executive board chairman Desmond Junaidi Mahesa said his party is open to the possibility of backing former Indonesian Military (TNI) commander Gen. (ret) Gatot Nurmantyo as a presidential candidate in the upcoming 2019 elections.
"Anything is possible before August, or near the end of the registration period," he said on Sunday as quoted by Tempo.co.
Desmond said Gerindra had held internal discussions on Gatot's possible candidacy but refrained from saying how likely it was for the party to take such a course.
"Anything is possible," he reiterated
Previously, Gatot met with Gerindra chairman Prabowo Subianto to talk about the possibility of registering as the party's presidential candidate.
Speculation has intensified since Gerindra has not yet officially declared a presidential candidate. Prabowo was previously scheduled to announce his presidential bid at the party's national coordination meeting on April 11, but said last week that there would be no such announcement.
Gerindra deputy chairman Sufmi Dasco Ahmad denied that Prabowo had doubts about running for president, saying that Prabowo was only looking to consolidate his coalition first as it would affect the vice presidential ticket.
"Other parties are also exploring other possibilities, it's not only us," he said. (ebf)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Instant Noodle Longform