Prabowo's presidential bid hangs in the balance
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
Opposition leader Prabowo Subianto is reportedly still weighing up several options for 2019: challenging President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo's candidacy, nominating another figure to face him or becoming his running mate.
The United Development Party (PPP), which supports Jokowi, claimed that its leader, Muhammad “Romy” Romahurmuziy, had met with Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno in Jakarta on Thursday night.
Romy is the youngest party leader in Jokowi’s camp with whom the President often consults about his possible running mate, while Sandiaga has been tasked with taking the Gerindra Party, which has nominated Prabowo as it candidate, to victory in the upcoming presidential race.
Sandiaga shared with Romy the three options available to Prabowo, PPP secretary-general Arsul Sani said on Friday. One of the options, he confirmed, was for Gerindra to join Jokowi's camp with Prabowo as his vice presidential candidate.
“That’s what I can say about last night's meeting. The three options are still possible for both Jokowi and Prabowo,” Arsul said.
Sandiaga reportedly visited the private residence of Prabowo in Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta, after meeting Romy.
“Romahurmuziy is my best friend. And I am tasked to communicate will all [parties’ elites],” Sandiaga said as quoted by kompas.com when asked about the meeting. (ahw)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Instant Noodle Longform