Bangli prisoners show off artistic talents on Correctional Day
Ni Komang Erviani
The Jakarta Post
With black scrawl on his face and a black-white headband, Komang Gede, 40, was excited. The father of one who is serving a 20-year sentence at Bangli prison for murder had a huge smile as he and other prisoners performed genjek, a Balinese art performance that combines singing and dancing.
“I feel very happy today. I feel refreshed” Komang Gede told The Jakarta Post after he performed on Tuesday.
Komang Gede was not alone in his happiness. A cheerful ambience filled the prison’s hall as prisoners and guards showed off their art talents on Tuesday. They applauded, laughed and shared joy, enlivening the modest event.
Prison warden Diding Alpian said the art performance was held as part of a series of Correctional Day celebrations at the prison. “We have many events to celebrate Correctional Day. Besides art performances, we also held sports competitions and clean-up activities,” Diding said.
In joy and happiness: A female prisoner performs a Balinese traditional dance during Correctional Day celebrations at Bangli prison on April 25. (JP/Ni Komang Erviani)
Diding further said the event was held to allow prisoners and guards to explore their talents.
“We are also eager to help preserve Balinese art and culture,” Diding emphasized.
The prison houses 82 prisoners, 15 of whom are women. Two foreign inmates – an Australian woman and German man -- are also serving sentences at the prison. (ebf)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Instant Noodle Longform
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation