Death toll from Aceh oil well fire increases to 22
The Jakarta Post
Firefighters finally extinguished a blaze on Thursday at an illegal crude oil well in Pasir Putih village, Ranto Peureulak district, East Aceh.
Meanwhile the death toll in the incident has risen to 22. Aceh Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) spokeswoman Henny said 38 victims were still undergoing intensive medical treatment in several hospitals in Aceh and Medan, North Sumatra.
“All of the victims suffered serious burn injuries in the oil well explosion,” she told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.
Henny said BPBD Aceh had evacuated 198 people from 55 households living near the well to prevent further injuries.
“The Aceh administration has channeled emergency relief to all evacuees,” said Henny. The relief includes food, clothing, blankets, kitchen utensils and medical packages.
The police are investigating the cause of the explosion, which occurred as a group of local residents extracted crude oil from a disused well. (ebf)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world