Death toll from Aceh oil well fire increases to 22
The Jakarta Post
Firefighters finally extinguished a blaze on Thursday at an illegal crude oil well in Pasir Putih village, Ranto Peureulak district, East Aceh.
Meanwhile the death toll in the incident has risen to 22. Aceh Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) spokeswoman Henny said 38 victims were still undergoing intensive medical treatment in several hospitals in Aceh and Medan, North Sumatra.
“All of the victims suffered serious burn injuries in the oil well explosion,” she told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.
Henny said BPBD Aceh had evacuated 198 people from 55 households living near the well to prevent further injuries.
“The Aceh administration has channeled emergency relief to all evacuees,” said Henny. The relief includes food, clothing, blankets, kitchen utensils and medical packages.
The police are investigating the cause of the explosion, which occurred as a group of local residents extracted crude oil from a disused well. (ebf)
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent
- Next US House foreign affairs chief vows to check Trump, warns Russia
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Lion Air passengers change planes because of broken AC