Banner blunder shows Prabowo asking supporters to seize memories
The Jakarta Post
A picture of a political banner during a Gerindra Party event in Bojonegoro, East Java, on Saturday has gone viral online for all the wrong reasons.
The writing on the banner, showing opposition leader Prabowo Subianto raising his right arm, was supposed to say, Bergeraklah Merebut Kemenangan (Act to Seize Victory). It instead said Bergeraklah Merebut Kenangan (Act to Seize Memories).
The banner was installed to welcome Prabowo, Gerindra’s presidential nominee, who was touring Java to campaign for the party’s candidates in the regional elections, including in Bojonegoro.
Deputy chairman of Gerindra’s East Java chapter Hendro Subianto admitted that the writing was a typo and that party officials had taken down the banner.
“We apologize for the misprint of a political banner in Bojonegoro,” he said, as quoted by kompas.com on Sunday night.
The party is reportedly investigating the case to find the culprit behind the fiasco.
Prabowo lost to President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo in the 2014 presidential election. It is widely believed that the former general will take on Jokowi for the second time in 2019. (ahw)
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- Australian archbishop guilty of concealing child sex abuse
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Five dead in India from Nipah virus, dozens quarantined
- Displaced for different beliefs