Banner blunder shows Prabowo asking supporters to seize memories
The Jakarta Post
A picture of a political banner during a Gerindra Party event in Bojonegoro, East Java, on Saturday has gone viral online for all the wrong reasons.
The writing on the banner, showing opposition leader Prabowo Subianto raising his right arm, was supposed to say, Bergeraklah Merebut Kemenangan (Act to Seize Victory). It instead said Bergeraklah Merebut Kenangan (Act to Seize Memories).
The banner was installed to welcome Prabowo, Gerindra’s presidential nominee, who was touring Java to campaign for the party’s candidates in the regional elections, including in Bojonegoro.
Deputy chairman of Gerindra’s East Java chapter Hendro Subianto admitted that the writing was a typo and that party officials had taken down the banner.
“We apologize for the misprint of a political banner in Bojonegoro,” he said, as quoted by kompas.com on Sunday night.
The party is reportedly investigating the case to find the culprit behind the fiasco.
Prabowo lost to President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo in the 2014 presidential election. It is widely believed that the former general will take on Jokowi for the second time in 2019. (ahw)
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- Canadian killed, American wounded in Mexico shooting
- Yazidi 'ex-sex slave' trapped both in Iraq and in German exile
- Pilgrims descend on Mecca for 'smart haj'
- Chinese plane slides off Manila airport runway in heavy rain
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech