BREAKING: Five officers dead, one held hostage in Mako Brimob standoff
Safrin La Batu and Kharishar Kahfi
The Jakarta Post
The police have announced that five members of Police's Densus 88 counterterrorism squad have been killed while another officer is being held hostage, in a standoff between police and terror convicts since rioting broke out on Tuesday evening at the Mobile Brigade headquarters (Mako Brimob) detention center in Kelapa Dua, Depok, West Java.
One terror detainee was also killed during the incident after making repeated threats and attempting to steal a police weapon.
The Mako Brimob has been in lockdown since rioting broke out at its detention center on Tuesday evening, with local roads cordoned off and affecting traffic on Wednesday.
According to National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. M. Iqbal, the officers' bodies have been transferred to the National Police Hospital in Kramat Jati, East Jakarta.
The bodies have been identified as:
- First Insp. Yudi Rospuji Siswato
- Adj. Second Insp. Denny Setiadi
- Brig. Fandy Setyo Nugroho
- First Brig. Syukron Fadhli
- First Brig. Wahyu Catur Pamungkas
Meanwhile, the police officer, who has been held hostage, was identified as Chief Brigadier Iwan Sarjana. (swd)
Editor's note: The article has been updated at 5:54 p.m. to clarify that the casualties were members of the National Police's Densus 88 counterterrorism squad rather than members of Mobile Brigade (Brimob) as previously reported.
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- To fast or not? Free of IS, Syrians in Raqa mark relaxed Ramadhan
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- After 20 years, tough road ahead
- Anwar Ibrahim's Jakarta visit packed with media interviews
- How new antiterrorism law will change Indonesia's war on terror
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Jambi tribes may not be able to vote in upcoming elections
- Video of Malaysian PM Mahathir driving Proton Perdana goes viral
- Police nab ‘conspiracy theorists’ following Surabaya bombings