Riau Police succeeded in stopping attack: National Police
The Jakarta Post
The Riau Police succeeded on Wednesday in stopping an attempted terrorist attack on their headquarters in Pekanbaru, the National Police have announced.
“Four suspects were killed by police personnel during the attack. One ran away but was later captured and taken to the Pekanbaru Police headquarters. This is a great achievement for the Riau Police,” National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Setyo Wasisto said in a press briefing in Jakarta.
The Riau provincial administration is broadcasting live footage (https://streaming.riau.go.id) of the latest situation at the scene to show counterterrorism unit Densus 88 personnel safeguarding the area.
Several masked men attacked the Riau Police headquarters at around 9 a.m. on Wednesday with sharp weapons and firearms, killing one police officer and injuring another.
TVOne journalist Rian Rahman, who was at the scene waiting for updates on a drug-related case, was also injured. (evi)
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- Tourists cause human traffic jam at Mt. Fuji
- Venezuelan general, colonel arrested over 'attack' on Maduro
- Prosecutors demand 1.5 years for Buddhist woman on ‘azan’ blasphemy charge
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Malaysia to alter 'hideous' tourism logo featuring ape in shades
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Saudi state carrier hit by system failure ahead of haj
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US believes missing journalist Tice still alive after six years