Riau Police succeeded in stopping attack: National Police
The Jakarta Post
The Riau Police succeeded on Wednesday in stopping an attempted terrorist attack on their headquarters in Pekanbaru, the National Police have announced.
“Four suspects were killed by police personnel during the attack. One ran away but was later captured and taken to the Pekanbaru Police headquarters. This is a great achievement for the Riau Police,” National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Setyo Wasisto said in a press briefing in Jakarta.
The Riau provincial administration is broadcasting live footage (https://streaming.riau.go.id) of the latest situation at the scene to show counterterrorism unit Densus 88 personnel safeguarding the area.
Several masked men attacked the Riau Police headquarters at around 9 a.m. on Wednesday with sharp weapons and firearms, killing one police officer and injuring another.
TVOne journalist Rian Rahman, who was at the scene waiting for updates on a drug-related case, was also injured. (evi)
- Planning to travel this Ramadhan? Try these Muslim
- Dugong sellers thwarted in West Sulawesi
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- Malaysian playboy financier in cross
- Japan keeps word, gifts Akita dog to Russian skater Zagitova
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- Teen suspect killed 6
- New lava flow crosses onto Hawaii geothermal plant property
- Rainbow flags and high heels: S. Korea holds debut drag parade