Church security officer latest fatality of Surabaya church bombings
The Jakarta Post
A security officer at the Surabaya Pentecostal Church (GPPS) has become the 14th victim killed by the suicide bombing attacks carried out by the family of Dita Oepriarto on Sunday.
The security officer, identified as Giri Catur Sungkowo, died after several days of intensive medical treatment at Dr. Soetomo Hospital. When the blasts occurred, Giri was on duty guarding the church whose jamaat (congregants) were participating in Sunday mass.
“Yes, he died last night,” East Java Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Frans Barung Mangera said on Saturday, as reported by tempo.co.
Dita’s family carried out suicide bombings at three churches in Surabaya on May 13. Six of the family members were killed in the attack, the deadliest in more than a decade.
Dita carried out the attack at the GPPS, killing eight people, including Giri. His two sons killed five at Saint Mary Immaculate (SMTB) Catholic Church, while his wife and daughters killed one at Diponegoro Indonesian Christian Church (GKI). (nfr/ahw)
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Three expat teachers detained in Balikpapan for visa violations
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Gay couple arrested in Bandung as anti-LGBT wave grips W. Java
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- Trump: Saudi explanation of Khashoggi death credible, 'important first step'
- US 'saddened' Saudi journalist dead, no mention of action
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors