Church security officer latest fatality of Surabaya church bombings
The Jakarta Post
A security officer at the Surabaya Pentecostal Church (GPPS) has become the 14th victim killed by the suicide bombing attacks carried out by the family of Dita Oepriarto on Sunday.
The security officer, identified as Giri Catur Sungkowo, died after several days of intensive medical treatment at Dr. Soetomo Hospital. When the blasts occurred, Giri was on duty guarding the church whose jamaat (congregants) were participating in Sunday mass.
“Yes, he died last night,” East Java Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Frans Barung Mangera said on Saturday, as reported by tempo.co.
Dita’s family carried out suicide bombings at three churches in Surabaya on May 13. Six of the family members were killed in the attack, the deadliest in more than a decade.
Dita carried out the attack at the GPPS, killing eight people, including Giri. His two sons killed five at Saint Mary Immaculate (SMTB) Catholic Church, while his wife and daughters killed one at Diponegoro Indonesian Christian Church (GKI). (nfr/ahw)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says