Navy tightens security to prevent terrorists from distributing weapons, explosives
The Jakarta Post
Following a string of terror acts in Indonesia recently, the Indonesian Navy (TNI AL) has focused on strengthening security in the country’s "vulnerable" waters.
According to TNI AL, terrorist groups use sea lanes to distribute weapons and explosives to members of their networks.
Rear Admiral S. Irawan, the security assistant of Indonesian Navy Chief of Staff Admiral Siwi Sukma Adji, said that via Indonesian Military commander Air Chief Marshall Hadi Tjahjanto, TNI AL had received an order from President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to prepare for possible terror attacks in the country’s waters.
“Right now, we who serve in TNI AL are on alert and have prepared all of our resources to detect any potential terror [activity],” said Irawan at the Naval Maintenance and Repair Facility in Mentigi, Tanjung Uban, Bintan, Riau Islands.
Irawan said there were indications that the radical groups had used sea lanes to distribute guns and explosive supplies. “We continue to guard against it, especially the distribution of weapons and explosives through sea lanes," he said.
Irawan said authorities needed to pay special attention to maritime security due to the fact that Riau Islands and Batam were categorized as "susceptible" to terror threats because they were located in the Malacca Strait, a busy international route.
“Intelligence operations are considered more important in conditions like this. There are all sorts of potential security or defense risks." (stu/ebf)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- US policeman fatally shoots black guard who detained gunman