Jakabaring solar power plant inaugurated to support Asian Games
The Jakarta Post
South Sumatra Governor Alex Noerdin inaugurated a 2-megawatt (MW) solar photovoltaic power plant at Jakabaring Sport City in the provincial capital of Palembang on Saturday as part of preparations for the 2018 Asian Games, which will take place from Aug. 18 to Sept. 2.
“The power plant will produce electricity equal to the [amount of] energy produced by 172,000 liters of fuel,” Alex said as quoted by tempo.co.
The plant, equipped with 5,248 photovoltaic sheets, was constructed on 2.5 hectares of land by South Sumatra administration-owned mining and energy company PDPDE in cooperation with Japanese multinational company Sharp Corporation through an independent power producer (IPP).
The plant operator has a 20-year contract with state-owned electricity company PLN.
In the project, Sharp Corporation supplied technology under the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM), also known as the carbon credit scheme, to address climate change.
The project, which was constructed in three months with zero accidents, was the first power plant in Sumatra and used the most advanced technology in Indonesia, Alex said.
Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry director for renewable energy Harris Yahya said the ministry always supported the development of power plants that utilized renewable energy, including those that used geothermal energy and bioenergy.
Currently, renewable energy comprises only 8 percent of the energy mix, slightly over a third of the government target of having renewable energy make up 23 percent of the energy mix by 2025, Harris added. (bbn)
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama