Jakartans discard some 300 million plastic bags per year
The Jakarta Post
Jakartans waste some 300 million used plastic bags each year, while the latest United Nations Environment report considers plastic bags and styrofoam to be two of the most environmentally harmful wastes.
Indonesian Plastic Bag Diet Movement (GIDKP) executive director Tiza Marfia said “Jakartans use an average of one to three plastic bags whenever they go shopping.”
Plastic and styrofoam waste was commonly washed ashore and could easily be found on beaches, including those in Jakarta, Tirza said.
He added that his organization would fully support the Jakarta administration and other cities/regencies in reducing plastic use, as the Jakarta Environment Agency and GIDKP have shown that citizens of the capital discard up to 300 million used plastic bags per year.
Efforts to reduce the prevalence of plastic bag use among citizens have been well under way with the likes of the #pay4plastic petition, which has been campaigned by GIDKP since 2013. To date, the petition has reached 70,000 signatures.
In 2016, the petition kick-started the No Free Plastic campaign trial in 23 major cities in Indonesia. According to reports, the trial managed to reduce plastic use by as much as 55 percent.
The petition has also inspired communities to support the reduction of plastic use.
Project Semesta, a Jakarta-based community dedicated to the reduction efforts, has also been promoting the "bulk store" model to encourage the public to use less plastic. (rfa)
- Trump's trip to Europe: Top five highlights
- Microsoft urges regulation of face-recognizing tech
- Densus 88 shoot dead three alleged terrorists in Yogyakarta
- Learning from France’s multiculturalism, World Cup run
- Saudi woman could be jailed for hugging pop star
- Tokyo’s reign as world’s largest city fades
- Airbus near blockbuster $23 billion jet sale to AirAsia
- Trump says Queen thinks Brexit is 'very complex problem': Report
- 52 alleged robbers shot by police ahead of Asian Games
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world