Jakartans discard some 300 million plastic bags per year
The Jakarta Post
Jakartans waste some 300 million used plastic bags each year, while the latest United Nations Environment report considers plastic bags and styrofoam to be two of the most environmentally harmful wastes.
Indonesian Plastic Bag Diet Movement (GIDKP) executive director Tiza Marfia said “Jakartans use an average of one to three plastic bags whenever they go shopping.”
Plastic and styrofoam waste was commonly washed ashore and could easily be found on beaches, including those in Jakarta, Tirza said.
He added that his organization would fully support the Jakarta administration and other cities/regencies in reducing plastic use, as the Jakarta Environment Agency and GIDKP have shown that citizens of the capital discard up to 300 million used plastic bags per year.
Efforts to reduce the prevalence of plastic bag use among citizens have been well under way with the likes of the #pay4plastic petition, which has been campaigned by GIDKP since 2013. To date, the petition has reached 70,000 signatures.
In 2016, the petition kick-started the No Free Plastic campaign trial in 23 major cities in Indonesia. According to reports, the trial managed to reduce plastic use by as much as 55 percent.
The petition has also inspired communities to support the reduction of plastic use.
Project Semesta, a Jakarta-based community dedicated to the reduction efforts, has also been promoting the "bulk store" model to encourage the public to use less plastic. (rfa)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- Cutting out rice not enough: More lifestyle changes needed to prevent diabetes
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements