Ahok to finish his term in prison, despite possible August parole
The Jakarta Post
Former Jakarta governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama, who was sentenced to two years in prison for blasphemy last year, may be released on parole in August but has said that he would carry out the remainder of his term, according to his lawyer.
Fifi Lety Indra, Ahok’s sister and his lawyer, announced his intentions on her Instagram account @fifiletytjahajapurnama on Wednesday, stating that he would rather leave prison after serving his entire sentence.
"Today, many WhatsApp messages and phone calls asked me the same question: Is it true that Pak Ahok can actually be released on parole in August? The answer is yes, but he @basukibtp decided not to take it and prefers to wait until he finishes his term," read Fifi’s post.
She added that she was unsure when Ahok would be released, as it would depend on the remissions he received.
To be released on parole, a convict must serve two-thirds of his or her prison term and fulfill other administrative requirements.
Ahok was sentenced to two years for violating the controversial blasphemy law in May last year.
Read also: Court rejects Ahok's blasphemy appeal
Cipinang Prison warden Andika Prasetya confirmed that Ahok could file a request to be released on parole next month, kompas.com reported.
He added that Ahok would have fully served his sentence by April 2019, after earning a 15-day remission granted last Christmas.
The former governor will receive further remissions of his sentence for Independence Day and Christmas this year, he said. (fac/wit)
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route