Army general linked to Jokowi's inner circle appointed new Pangkostrad
The Jakarta Post
Former Presidential Security Detail (Paspampres) commander Lt. Gen. Andika Perkasa has been appointed the new Army Strategic Reserves commander (Pangkostrad), a move that may strengthen the Presidential Palace’s influence on the military ahead of the 2019 elections.
The son-in-law of former State Intelligence Agency (BIN) chief Hendropriyono, a close aide to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, will replace Lt. Gen. Agus Kriswanto, who is entering retirement.
The strategic position will give him the authority to oversee all army commands and conduct defense and security operations with other forces in the military.
“There is a tour of duty among high-ranking officers and it includes Lt. Gen. Andika Perkasa,” said Indonesian Military (TNI) spokesperson Maj. Gen. M. Sabrar Fadhilah as quoted by antaranews.com.
Andika served as Paspampres chief right after Jokowi took office. He was promoted to a three-star general and appointed to lead the Military Education and Training Command in Bandung (Kodiklat) earlier this year, making him among the army’s brightest stars and predicted to become a future military leader.
Critics, however, attribute his rapid rise in the military to Hendropriyono’s position in the inner circle of the Presidential Palace. Hendropriyono’s son, Diaz, currently leads the Indonesian Justice and Unity Party (PKPI), a supporting political party to the government.
Backed by the PKPI and the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), making a majority in the House of Representatives, President Jokowi is seeking reelection next year.
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- IMF chief postpones Middle East trip with Saudi stop
- For the sake of integrity
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Fan Bingbing spotted for first time in months, outside Beijing airport
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- Indonesia warns against Australia’s possible embassy move to Jerusalem