Indonesia beats Thailand to finish third at AFF U19 Championship
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia defeated 2017 champion Thailand 2-1 in the third-place match at the 2018 ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Under-19 Championship in Sidoarjo, East Java, on Saturday.
Held at Delta Stadium, Indonesia’s Feby Eka Putra scored the team's first goal in the 35th minute, followed by Syahrian Abimanyu in the 82nd.
Five-time champions Thailand responded with a goal from Matee Sarakum, who took advantage of a misplay by the Indonesian goalkeeper to score in the 85th minute.
With the victory, Indonesia finishes third at the U19 tournament for the second year in a row, having bested Myanmar 7-1 in 2017.
Indonesia failed to reach the final this year after losing a penalty shootout 3-2 to Malaysia on Thursday, while Thailand fell short after being stunned by Myanmar 1-0.
Malaysia will face Myanmar in the final in Sidoarjo on Sunday.
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Indian bishop accused of raping nun steps aside as arrest calls grow
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump defends Supreme Court pick after sex assault allegation