Indonesia beats Thailand to finish third at AFF U19 Championship
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia defeated 2017 champion Thailand 2-1 in the third-place match at the 2018 ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Under-19 Championship in Sidoarjo, East Java, on Saturday.
Held at Delta Stadium, Indonesia’s Feby Eka Putra scored the team's first goal in the 35th minute, followed by Syahrian Abimanyu in the 82nd.
Five-time champions Thailand responded with a goal from Matee Sarakum, who took advantage of a misplay by the Indonesian goalkeeper to score in the 85th minute.
With the victory, Indonesia finishes third at the U19 tournament for the second year in a row, having bested Myanmar 7-1 in 2017.
Indonesia failed to reach the final this year after losing a penalty shootout 3-2 to Malaysia on Thursday, while Thailand fell short after being stunned by Myanmar 1-0.
Malaysia will face Myanmar in the final in Sidoarjo on Sunday.
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape