Mahfud, Airlangga, TGB on VP candidates list, Jokowi says
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo revealed on Monday that three notable figures whose names have been circulating as potential vice-presidential candidates are indeed on his list of potential running mates for the 2019 presidential election.
The three figures are former Constitutional Court chief justice Mahfud MD, Golkar chairman Airlangga Hartarto and Muhammad Zainul Majdi, widely known as Tuan Guru Bajang (TGB), a two-time West Nusa Tenggara governor.
In an interview on Monday, journalists asked the President three separate questions, each about whether Mahfud, Airlangga and TGB, respectively, were considered as vice-presidential candidates.
To each of the questions, Jokowi answered, "[He is] included [on the list]."
The President previously said that he narrowed down the list to five names. However, Jokowi refused to confirm whether the list was final and said that he had been regularly meeting with political party leaders to discuss the matter.
Mahfud, Airlangga and TGB attended on Monday an event held by the NasDem Party in Jakarta, during which Jokowi gave a keynote speech.
NasDem and Golkar are among members of a coalition backing Jokowi's reelection bid. The National Awakening Party (PKB) recently joined the coalition after chairman Muhaimin Iskandar announced support for Jokowi in 2019. (swd)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump