Mahfud, Airlangga, TGB on VP candidates list, Jokowi says
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo revealed on Monday that three notable figures whose names have been circulating as potential vice-presidential candidates are indeed on his list of potential running mates for the 2019 presidential election.
The three figures are former Constitutional Court chief justice Mahfud MD, Golkar chairman Airlangga Hartarto and Muhammad Zainul Majdi, widely known as Tuan Guru Bajang (TGB), a two-time West Nusa Tenggara governor.
In an interview on Monday, journalists asked the President three separate questions, each about whether Mahfud, Airlangga and TGB, respectively, were considered as vice-presidential candidates.
To each of the questions, Jokowi answered, "[He is] included [on the list]."
The President previously said that he narrowed down the list to five names. However, Jokowi refused to confirm whether the list was final and said that he had been regularly meeting with political party leaders to discuss the matter.
Mahfud, Airlangga and TGB attended on Monday an event held by the NasDem Party in Jakarta, during which Jokowi gave a keynote speech.
NasDem and Golkar are among members of a coalition backing Jokowi's reelection bid. The National Awakening Party (PKB) recently joined the coalition after chairman Muhaimin Iskandar announced support for Jokowi in 2019. (swd)
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court
- Indian bishop accused of raping nun steps aside as arrest calls grow