Prabowo meets Puan in undisclosed location
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani and Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
Opposition leader Prabowo Subianto held a meeting with top Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) official Puan Maharani at an undisclosed location on Tuesday.
The leader of the Gerindra Party described his visit with the daughter of PDI-P patron Megawati Soekarnoputri as "a friendly meeting between two family friends”.
“I think we’ll meet again. If we want to meet we don’t need to set a serious agenda,” Prabowo said.
He declined to confirm if they talked about the 2019 presidential election and the possibility of Gerindra joining forces with the PDI-P.
He said Puan had told him that “she wanted to learn how to ride a horse in Hambalang. And I am happy for that”.
The two politicians had planned the meeting a month ago, following speculation that the PDI-P would ask Gerindra to join its coalition and endorse President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s reelection bid.
Some have said that Jokowi once offered Prabowo a vice presidential ticket.
Gerindra, however, has made it clear that it will nominate Prabowo as a presidential candidate.
Prabowo added that he might welcome Puan at his private residence in Hambalang, Bogor, West Java.
Following the meeting with Puan, he is scheduled to meet Democratic Party chairman and former president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to talk about a possible coalition. (ahw)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Trump fires senior advisor at start of expected White House reshuffle
- Indonesia records US$1.82 billion trade deficit in October