Prabowo meets Puan in undisclosed location
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani and Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
Opposition leader Prabowo Subianto held a meeting with top Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) official Puan Maharani at an undisclosed location on Tuesday.
The leader of the Gerindra Party described his visit with the daughter of PDI-P patron Megawati Soekarnoputri as "a friendly meeting between two family friends”.
“I think we’ll meet again. If we want to meet we don’t need to set a serious agenda,” Prabowo said.
He declined to confirm if they talked about the 2019 presidential election and the possibility of Gerindra joining forces with the PDI-P.
He said Puan had told him that “she wanted to learn how to ride a horse in Hambalang. And I am happy for that”.
The two politicians had planned the meeting a month ago, following speculation that the PDI-P would ask Gerindra to join its coalition and endorse President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s reelection bid.
Some have said that Jokowi once offered Prabowo a vice presidential ticket.
Gerindra, however, has made it clear that it will nominate Prabowo as a presidential candidate.
Prabowo added that he might welcome Puan at his private residence in Hambalang, Bogor, West Java.
Following the meeting with Puan, he is scheduled to meet Democratic Party chairman and former president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to talk about a possible coalition. (ahw)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Malaysia ex-PM faces 21 new charges over 1MDB scandal
- BMKG warns of heavy rains, high waves as Typhoon Mangkhut ends
- 'Asia Sentinel' apologizes to Yudhoyono, Dems
- Five destinations to be developed into one geopark
- Indonesians ready to embrace cashless future
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world