Thai woman arrested for allegedly smuggling crystal meth into Semarang
The Jakarta Post
Airport personnel in Semarang, Central Java, thwarted on Tuesday an alleged drug smuggling attempt by a Thai national, according to the provincial branch of the National Narcotics Agency (BNN).
Wilaiwan Boonyiam, 22, who hails from Nakhon Pathom province in Thailand, was caught by customs officials at Ahmad Yani International Airport with 1.6 kilograms of sabu sabu (crystal methamphetamine) on July 1.
“Boonyiam flew from Bangkok to Singapore via Singapore Airlines flight SQ-973 before flying to Semarang with SilkAir. She admitted to receiving instructions from someone in Thailand [to smuggle the drugs],” head of the Central Java BNN, Tri Agus Heru Prasetyo, said in a press conference on Tuesday in Semarang.
The woman reportedly told investigators that she had been instructed to stay at a hotel in Semarang before meeting someone who would retrieve the crystal meth.
She allegedly received US$1500 for the job.
Boonyiam will be charged under the 2009 Narcotics Law, which carries a maximum penalty of death, Tri said.
He further said that Central Java had become a growing target market for drugs coming from Thailand. On Oct. 13, 2016, BNN and customs personnel arrested a courier traveling from Bangkok who was caught with 180 grams of crystal meth hidden in the sole of his shoe.
On March 15, 2017, authorities confiscated 57 gr of meth sent through the post from Thailand.
The Central Java BNN revealed that in several joint operations, it had seized a total of 7.65 kg of crystal meth from 21 suspects between January and July. (nor/rin)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world